Thursday, June 4, 2009

Pikes Peak

The past two weeks have been FULL of changes for Stoney and me, lots of time with each other and family, and a couple surprises thrown in there too. We moved into our wonderful house on May 20th. Moving, or rather, unpacking is never a barrel of monkeys, but we finally got it done (for the most part). The day after the movers delivered our things, Stoney found out that he was being moved to a different Battalion. A shock to us both, but what was even more of a shock was them telling Stoney that he would be leaving in a week and a half rather than in a couple of months. When you have your mind set on one time frame and it's changed, your whole world is turned upside down for a bit. My intelligent cousin put it to me like that while explaining the similarities between their situation and ours. Matt and Lacy weren't expecting their perfect, beautiful baby boy Braden to come a couple months early, but he did, and he is doing wonderfully! Those couple of months in two very different situations really made a difference in their own right. I trust that the Lord knows what he is doing in every situation. Thank you for your insight, Matt.

So, after we found out about this new change, we hustled to get our house in order. Additionally, we wanted our house looking good because my dad, my cousin Weston, and Stoney's dad would be coming up for a couple of days. We had a great time showing everyone around. It was nice to get out of the house and enjoy this beautiful area. We shopped in Manitou Springs, went to the top of Pikes Peak, and ate WAY too much. We were also so fortunate to be able to go to the Air Force Academy for Cameron Koehler's Commissioning Ceremony. Stoney was honored to be the officer who commissioned Cameron. It was lovely.

The last couple of weeks have been a WHIRLWIND!

This past Wednesday Stoney left for Afghanistan. It was (of course) so hard for us both to say goodbye, but we know that the sooner he leaves, the sooner he gets back. Everyone has been SO supportive to Stoney and me. Your thoughts and prayers are very much appreciated. Please continue to pray for Stoney's safety as well as the safety of all of our service men and women. I will be sending out an e-mail update every couple of weeks to keep everyone informed on what Stoney is up to.
I love you, Stone.

Here are some of my favorite shots from our time with the dads.


My sweet little family.
Photobucket


My dad and me.
Photobucket


I think I'm going to get this one printed on canvas for above our fireplace.
Photobucket


This one of Stoney is my favorite. I took it as the top of Pikes Peak...well, almost the top. We drove all the way to 12,500ft and the remaining road to the very top was still iced over. When we started our drive at 6,000ft the temperature was about 70 degrees. At 12,500ft it had dropped to 31 degrees and there were snow flurries! This past week it snowed three feet on top of the mountain.
Photobucket


Stoney and his dad, Kip.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Manitou Springs, CO
Photobucket

Photobucket


It's a very whimsical little town....I love it.
Photobucket


Cameron's Commissioning Ceremony.
Photobucket

9 comments:

Jessica said...

I love all of the pictures, Ali! It seems like the town is a really neat place. I hope that you're doing well and enjoying it.

Unknown said...

one word, Ali... WOW!!! You live in such a beautiful area, the photos are breathtaking... Nate and I would so love to visit sometime, we have never been there! I LOVE the one of the sky, and the one of the little evergreen tree on the edge of the cliff. Looks like you a had a perfect day for photos in the mountains!

kdolan said...

Miss you!

kdolan said...

The 7th photo is my fav....soooo beautiful! Seeing your dad makes me smile. Oh, how I miss him and sweet barb. Kate and I talk about visiting them. Maybe sometime this summer. We'll have to make arrangements.

Tiff said...

Hey, girl... love all the photose. I might have to get a print onf one to put in the baby's room. The blue of the sky is a great match for the colors in there.
Love you girl,
Tiff

Amy Strecker said...

Love the pictures, as always! Such great color.

Unknown said...

Alison, Your work is wonderful! As an aspiring photographer you are an inspiration. I spent a week out in the Springs a month ago and took pictures of almost the exact same rocks and trees... how ironic! Don't miss Seven Falls at night and the Garden of the Gods at sunset. You will love it!

Kent and Jenna said...

Absolutely beautiful! You are so very talented. So glad I found your blog. ;) We will be praying for Stoney's safe return.

Unknown said...

Ali - your work is stunning, as always! I can't wait to get up and visit that beautiful new state of yours. Know that you and Stoney are in my thoughts daily! Miss you, girl. <3 KMB