Monday, August 10, 2009

Wild West Relay

This past Friday and Saturday I participated in the Wild West Relay - a relay race from Fort Collins, CO to Steamboat Springs, CO. It is a 200 mile run that takes most just over 24 hours. Our team consisted of 12 people and each person ran about three legs. What was our team name you ask...Team TRASH: Them Rockies Ain't So Huge. Great name, huh? My bff, Annie talked me into joining the team way back in the fall when Stoney and I were still at Fort Knox, KY, and I'm so glad she did. Everyone on our team was so much fun; everyone really seemed to enjoy everyone else's company. We had some fantastic runners on our team.

This run was a great experience and I'm so glad I was a part of Team TRASH. Thanks fellow TRASHers.
Here are a handful of "snap shots" from the weekend.

Team TRASH at the starting line Friday morning.
Photobucket

Streching it out
Photobucket

Perfect weather for a run.
Photobucket

Handing it off to Jeff
Photobucket

Just a fun shot of Annie, Brenda, and a new friend we made...we were definitely the most friendly team there. If they had an award for the nicest team, we would have won it. And just look at that sky - gorgeous!
Photobucket

Annie B. and me.
Photobucket

Photobucket

There was plenty of time between runs for photo opps...unless you wanted to sleep. Who needs sleep? (ummmm, me)
Photobucket

This was the end to my final leg into Steamboat. The night leg was my favorite, but this one was pretty great. I knew the end was near.
Photobucket

Our trip back to Fort Collins after the run
Photobucket

A stop for lunch along the way back. We decided to toast our Rocky Mountain Oysters...hah. If you don't know what those are, I'll let you google it. Notice the guys faces in the following photos.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I didn't mention before that our team ended up getting 7th in our division out of about 40 teams, and overall, we got 39th out of about 150 teams. Our final time was 28:55:34 and our overall pace was 8:56. We were all pretty excited about the results.

The race was great, my team was great, and the scenery was great. I couldn't have asked for a better first relay race experience!

6 comments:

MS Tonni said...

That is awesome and what an accomplishment. I am very impressed! I know for sure I would have died! :) I love the picts. The scenery up there is amazing! Keep it up girl! You inspire me, as always!

Amanda Scott said...

This is awesome!! I'm running a marathon with my best friend in October, and I'm going to tell her about this...sounds like a blast! Congrats on an awesome run. (=

Kevin Coyle said...

I love the photos! The ones of the first legs are quite nice. I am looking forward to seeing the pics from others also. Go Team TRASH!

Ivy Koehler said...

ahhh! Ali you are too skinny! Looks like you guys had a blast and I'm super jealous of your legs. End of story.

Annie said...

I loved running this race! Some great pics here - I can't wait to see more!

Unknown said...

Ditto- those are very impressive...Annie's shots of the Oyster toast aren't to bad for an amateur either...and priceless for that matter